Delhi: AIIMS may open cancer centre at ITO

Looking at the rising incidence of cancer in the country, the All India Institute of Medical Science (AIIMS) is likely to establish a cancer care centre at the ITO in the national Capital.
The Yuva Bharati Trust has signed a memorandum with AIIMS, Indian Society of Oncology and National Cancer Institute (NCI) to establish a cancer centre. For this, the Yuva Bharti Trust has planned to provide a space to AIIMS at Chandra Shekhar Bhawan area in ITO.
The project was in the pipeline for a long time. The Yuva Bharati Trust has approached us with an idea to start with cancer screening centre like AIIMS. This centre will provide cancer screening facilities, vaccination for cervical cancer, tele-oncology and diagnostic facilities, AIIMS Dr Abhishek Shankar, senior oncologist, said adding that the name of the centre has been proposed as Chandra Shekhar Centre for Cancer Care.
The new cancer centre will alert people about the cancer screening at an early stage so that treatment is possible. Doctors say that presently patients come to the hospital at stage 3 or 4 when treatment becomes negligible. Over the years, the incidence of cancer has been reportedly increasing.
As per the data revealed by the national cancer registry, in 2016 about 14.5 lakh patients were notified with cancer disease, however, for 2017, number are rose to 15 lakh patients. So, cases are increasing each year,
Shankar said. Every year, in India more than 44 lakh people are diagnosed with cancer and medical treatment reaches to only 5 lakh patients. Nearly 10 people die just due to the lack of healthcare services, he added.
In India, people are mostly detected with breast, cervical, oral and lung cancer. Shankar said that more than 70 per cent cancer is preventable and more than 80 per cent cancer is curable if detected early.
More than 80 per cent of cases are presented in stage 3 and 4, and has a survival chance of only 20 per cent. The AIIMS has also started with a new development in operating abdominal cancer patients with no pain.
We have started an advanced technique called the Intra- Operative Chemo-Therapy to kill cancer cells during surgery. In this we put chemo threaphy to the patient at the same time when he is under anesthesia.
With this, the patient will not feel the pain of chemotherapy, which is usually done after the surgery. Colon cancer and ovarian cancer is listed in abdominal cancer, said Dr SVS Dev, head of surgical oncology department at AIIMS. So far, 70 patients who were even in their stage-4 have been treated with this new method, and success rate has been around 50 per cent, he said.


Popular posts from this blog

EMA Recommends Extension of Indications for Ramucirumab

Dr. Hootie Warren takes helm of Fred Hutch Global Oncology

Merck announces positive event-free survival data from phase 3 KEYNOTE-522 study of Keytruda to treat triple-negative breast cancer